Theologienne

A divinity student blogs her faithful, progressive Catholicism.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

One of my favorite prayers

Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake.  Amen.

What are some of your favorite prayers?

This is from the Anglican Book of Common Prayer. (Incidentally, I just learned that the phrase "the iron has entered my soul," meaning that you're sad or disappointed, comes from a mistranslation in the Book of Common Prayer of a phrase that meant "he was laid down in iron" (Psalms 105:18). You learn wonderful things about the Bible from those Norton Critical Editions of 19th-century novels.)

I had the privilege once of going on retreat at an Episcopal monastery, the Society of St. John the Evangelist, and discovered that the rhythm of daily prayer is powerful and addictive. The words from the liturgies used there crept into my head and manifest frequently, considering how unfamiliar I was with them to begin with. I especially loved evening Compline prayer. When you're tired, your thoughts can start to perpetuate on one topic, whether it's a worry about tomorrow or acting out one of your less pleasant characteristics; but when you're allowed to be silent and pray at that time of day, you go to bed in the most extraordinary state of peace. Here, then, are a few excerpts from a Compline service, the whole of which is available here:

The Lord Almighty grant us a peaceful night and a perfect end.
...
Psalm 4
Answer me when I call, O God, defender of my cause;
you set me free when I am hard-pressed; have mercy on me and hear my prayer.

"You mortals, how long will you dishonor my glory;
how long will you worship dumb idols and run after false gods?"

Know that the Lord does wonders for the faithful;
when I call upon the Lord, he will hear me.

Tremble, then, and do not sin;
speak to your heart in silence upon your bed.

Offer the appointed sacrifices
and put your trust in the Lord.

Many are saying, "Oh, that we might see better times!"
Lift up the light of your countenance upon us, O Lord.

You have put gladness in my heart,
more than when grain and wine and oil increase.

I lie down in peace; at once I fall asleep;
for only you, LORD, make me dwell in safety.
...
Lord, you are in the midst of us, and we are called by your Name: Do not forsake us, O Lord our God. Jeremiah 14:9,22
...
V. Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit;
R. For you have redeemed me, O Lord, O God of truth.
V. Keep us, O Lord, as the apple of your eye;
R. Hide us under the shadow of your wings.

Guide us waking, O Lord, and guard us sleeping; that awake
we may watch with Christ, and asleep we may rest in peace.

Lord, you now have set your servant free
to go in peace as you have promised;

For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior,
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:

A Light to enlighten the nations,
and the glory of your people Israel.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit:
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

Guide us waking, O Lord, and guard us sleeping; that awake
we may watch with Christ, and asleep we may rest in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home