Theologienne

A divinity student blogs her faithful, progressive Catholicism.

Thursday, April 21, 2005

The conflicting nature of church

I've heard Dorothy Day quoted as saying "The Church is my mother, even when she's a whore."

This heartfelt poem/prayer came to my attention today, and though the images it evokes are not mostly in line with my feelings, I admired the way it captured the conflicted, tension-holding nature of the living Church.

How baffling you are, oh Church, and yet how I love you!
How you have made me suffer, and yet how much I owe you!
I should like to see you destroyed, and yet I need your presence.
You have given me so much scandal and yet you have made me understand
sanctity.
I have seen nothing in the world more devoted to obscurity, more
compromised, more false, and I have touched nothing more pure, more
generous, more beautiful.
How often I have wanted to shut the doors of my soul in your face, and how
often I have prayed to die in the safety of your arms.
No, I cannot free myself from you, because I am you, although not
completely.

And where would I go?

- Carlo Carretto

It reminded me of a third-century poem that describes the Divine in beautifully conflicting imagery, the Thunder, Perfect Mind.