Theologienne

A divinity student blogs her faithful, progressive Catholicism.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

"Sr. Joan Chittister is on the road"

And yet I continue to check her blog over at NCRCafe to see what the leading prophet of thinking spirituality has to say about the election results!
 
See, I know Sr. Joan won't come back from her peacekeeping mission only to tell us that everything is now A-OK stateside. She'll challenge American progressives to be as visionary in victory as they were in minority, to put the poor and marginalized first, and to look to their own houses. She'll remind us that God calls all of us to social justice and that we can't leave the responsibility for a better world with politicians.
 
Her speech at the Call to Action conference last week was emblematic. Everyone wants to hear about women's ordination and gay marriage, and God knows those are important to God's people. But Sister Joan, by focusing her address on economic justice and peace, subtly reminded us of how wide is the work to be done in the world. The poor will always be with us, needing God's love through God's people, no matter who is in Congress--or in the pulpit.
 
Come back, Sr. Joan, and be a voice of reason!
 
The mere announcement that she's away inspired, to date, 52 comments.
 
And if you can't wait, check out the discussion we're having over at BustedHalo.


Update: Sr. Joan is back with a moving story of ministry to Iraqi refugees in Syria.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Blogger bostonmed said...

I see that you are holding up well over at the e-magazine blog. Well done ol' chap! The spirited talks about health care is interesting, except for the slight issue of the lack of consensus knowledge with which to base arguments, draw conclusions, make inferences, and suggest meaningful solutions. While I was tempted, I will stay out of the fray; too much studying to be done. The latest comment about how 'faith' is devolving into a series of ethics, morality, and (gasp!) social justice drives which are responsible for the decline in the number of priests is...shall we say...creative. You can carry on that discussion.

Matthews 10:16 :P

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Ha! Great quote. And where are you acquiring this fine theological education? Merchant of Venice act 1, scene 3, line 99 : P

Thanks for the props. I don't think the commentors over there are wolves at all, but maybe some of them need some clarification of thought. How lucky for them they have ME! : P

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey theologienne, I finally have a chance to check out your interesting blog. Needless to say I don't agree that Sr. Joan is the voice of reason although I do appreciate that you think she is.

Philip, you have misunderstood what I meant when I wrote: "Regarding the priest shortage, this, as everyone knows, is a very complex problem whose roots, I believe, lie in the fact that the Faith has been reduced to ethics, or moralism, or social activity, etc., etc., instead of an encounter with the Person of Jesus Christ, “which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction” (Deus Caritas Est, n. 1).

Until we correct this misconception, all the current “solutions” will be, I believe, utterly fruitless."

I am not saying that social justice, etc., should not be the concern of Catholic Christians but rather that I beleive that the vocation to the priesthood is more than that. Afterall, if I'm SOLELY interested in social justice, etics, etc., then why do I have to be a priest to do that?

No the origin of the Christian claim is not ethics, morality, etc. but rather an event. It's not a matter of creativity - although I appreciate the compliment - but rather a question of the correct focus.

Pax to all!

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Kate said...

CL, welcome and thanks for visiting! I'm glad you clarified that because I had read right over that part of your comment and it ties into a lot of things I've been thinking about lately as to what priesthood and/or ministry mean. Hope we'll see you around here more, if I ever find time to post anything between my strenuous gig over at BH : )

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I will defintiely try to visit as often as I can theologienne! Yes, BH keeps us busy but it sure is fun isn't it!

Has to create a new gmail account to be consistent!

Pax!!!

P.S. I'll repond to your post at BH.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am definitely having a bad "typing day" today so let me try this again! This can be so frustrating!!

==================================

I will defintiely try to visit as often as I can theologienne! Yes, BH keeps us busy but it sure is fun isn't it!

Has to create a new gmail account to be consistent!

Pax!!!

P.S. I'll repond to your post at BH.

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I give up in defeat!!! I have no idea why Convert_to_christ won't show up!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is a test to see if it works.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Silly me - I think I have it now! If so, delete my other comments please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home