Theologienne

A divinity student blogs her faithful, progressive Catholicism.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

iPope bopping to divine beats

Last month the staff at Vatican Radio gave Benedict XVI a shiny new iPod. (Although the Papa's known to have a taste for luxury, it's a relatively humble Shuffle.) Apparently he's got it loaded with Vatican radio programming: audio plays, commentary and snore-inducing classical.
 
I mention this because I'm working with a few friends on a prayer service focusing on contemporary music and thought I'd hit up my dear blogfans for suggestions. Understand that I'm not talking contemporary liturgical music, although we all love the acoustic guitar. I fear that Catholic prayer post-Vatican II risks being stuck in the aesthetic style of era that created it--the sixties--just as firmly as pre-Vatican II worship was mired in the medieval trappings that codified it. Parish choirs sometimes do a good job breaking out of this mold (and I'm not just saying that because I'm a little afraid of them, because everyone knows that she who runs the liturgy runs the parish and that's the choir director, so please stop brandishing those music stands) but when you've got amateurs organizing prayer outside of liturgy you're even more likely to end up surfeited with the chords C, G and F and lyric imagery straight out of Free to Be . . . You and Me. Which is certainly fine in proportion.
 
But there are more ways of being spiritual than that particular aesthetic vocabulary can express, and my friends and I think the music we listen to contains some fine examples. Which rock, hip-hop, techno or (gasp) pop songs fire your spiritual imagination, and why? I'll try to find your choices and comment on them in a later post, and I'll talk about some of my own.

4 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think one of the central problems is that American popular music isn't meant to be sung. The participatory part is pretty important for several theological reasons. (Some people find meaning in an "excellence for God" schtick, which I strongly reject.)

Anyways, the easiest answer is looking to Gospel or Praise & Worship country, where people already incorporate contemporary elements. In both cases, folks have been able to take the exact same songs we might consider old fashioned and perform them in contemporary idioms. Church songs aren't inherently wedded to a particular music style; I've heard the Protestant hymn "Come thou Font" performed in Hardcore Punk, Rusted Root-esque (whatever you call that - lots of drums), Metal, and even Reggae styles.

Catholic folk music, in my opinion, has the advantage of a theological depth you just don't find in Praise & Worship music; if the folk music gets old, I think the ideal answer is to assemble a good band who can play around with tunes like "City of God," "Eagle's Wings," "Hosea," and "Anthem."

I should admit my personal bias: I think there's no such thing as "too much" David Haas. :)

 
At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joan Osborne: What if God was one of use ... Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley version ... You are right about the era, some of the lyrics are so 60s that they are incomprehensible

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Over the Rhine's stuff is amazingly, fabulously both spiritually profound and genuniely good music. In a completely different direction, I've always found Alice Deejay's "Better Off Alone" prayerful.

And there's always "It Wasn't Me" by Shaggy, which has a good message of truth-telling and repentence.

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In addition to Praise & Worship country, which a previous comment cites, there is regular old country. Much of Johnny Cash; "Why Me, Lord" and others by Kristofferson; "God Was in the Water," by Bonnie Raitt.

And for Easter, "He's Alive!" by Don Francisco (also recorded by Dolly Parton).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home